Shell pasta smothered in a fresh tomato-basil sauce and topped with Italian cheeses.
- 8 oz medium-size shell pasta
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs ripe vine tomatoes, peeled, seeded & coarsely diced salt, to taste black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cups fresh basil leaves, coarse chopped + leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese imported Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to sprinkle
1. Bring large pot of water to boil; add salt; allow to return to rolling boil; add pasta and cook al dente (to the bite); drain; do not rinse.
2. Meanwhile, in skillet, heat olive oil and butter; add garlic and onions; saute over low heat until onions and garlic turn a light golden brown; add diced tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped basil; stir to combine.
3. Place cooked pasta in soup plate or large serving bowl, top with tomato mixture; sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and shredded mozzarella. Serve.