CINNAMON version 1
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 1 cup plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine cream and milk in a large sauce pan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans. Bring just to simmer.
2. Whisk sugar and yolks in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Return mixture to same saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 6 min. (do not boil).
3. Strain into large bowl. Whisk in ground cinnamon. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. Transfer custard to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Transfer ice cream to a covered container and freeze until firm. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen).