African Fish Curry Powder
- 1/2 lb dry red chiles
- 1/2 lb coriander seeds
- 2 oz cumin
- 1 oz turmeric
- 1 oz mustard seeds
1. Curry powders are an important part of African cooking due to the heavy influence of Arabic and Indian cuisine in Africa.
2. Curry powders are made from different proportions of spices, dried and ground.
3. Spices can be dried in the sun for two to three days, in a low temperature oven, or on top of the stove in a dry skillet.
4. If using askillet be sure to shake the spices constantly so they don’t burn.
5. Grinding is usually done with a mortar and pestle. Curry powders are not necessarily hot, they are made that way by the addition of chili peppers.
6. Dry spices, grind to a powder and seal in an airtight container. Use 2 teaspoons of curry powder to every 400 g or 1 lb of fish.