Western Trail Sandwiches To salvage eggs which had gone bad and to disguise the bad taste, pioneers mixed the eggs with onions and any seasonings they had on hand.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 eggs Salt Pepper Bread
1. Fry bacon in a skillet for several minutes.
2. Toss in the green pepper and onion and cook until vegetables are almost tender.
3. Beat eggs with the salt and pepper; pour over mixture in the skillet, then cook until eggs are set.
4. Turn and brown the second side lightly. Place between slices of buttered bread.
Makes 4 sandwiches.