- 1 cabbage head
- 1 onion — minced
- 2 tablespoons salad vinegar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise — * see note
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- paprika — optional
- green bell peppers, slivered — optional
- red bell peppers, slivered — optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard — optional
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed — optional
* Use only real mayonnaise, not salad dressing. This coleslaw must be
allowed to blend flavors in refrigerator for 2 hours or more (overnight
is best) for best taste.
Shred cabbage in VERY thin strands. Sprinkle evenly with vinegar,
minced onion, fresh ground black pepper and sugar. Put into airtight
bowl or plastic bag and refrigerator for 1 hour or more.
Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, dry mustard (if desired) and salt. If
using green and red sweet peppers, sliver them before adding to sour
cream mixture. Add celery seeds at this time also if you are using them.
Add this mixture to chilled cabbage and shake in plastic bags or
stir gently to mix thoroughly. Place back in refrigerator for 2 hours or more.