Gnocchi with Spicy fresh potato dumplings smothered in a spicy tomato and wine sauce and topped with Parmesan and fresh basil.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup dry white drinking wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) sweet cream butter, cut into 1-inch cubes, chilled
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese salt, to taste freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. gnocchi (potato dumplings) freshly chopped basil, to taste
1. Prepare sauce: Do not preheat skillet; place olive oil, garlic and chili flakes in pan. Place pan over medium heat; stir until garlic is slightly browned; add wine and broth; simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Reduce wine/broth mixture by half; add tomatoes; continue to simmer for 30 minutes more.
3. Transfer to blender; add butter and Parmesan cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper; puree.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water until they float, about 3 minutes; drain; transfer to serving platter.
5. Pour sauce over; toss lightly to coat. Garnish with Parmesan and basil. Serve hot.