Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- 6 oz Chocolate, semisweet
- 3/4 c Butter
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 8 Eggs; separated
- 1 1/3 c Hazelnuts; ground
- 2/3 c Bread crumbs or matzo meal
- 1 ts Cinnamon, ground
1. Chop chocolate into small pieces. Place in small bowl over hot water to melt, stirring occasionally. Beat butter with half the sugar until soft and light.
2. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Combine hazelnuts, bread crumbs and cinnamon and stir in. Whip egg whites. Beat in remaining sugar in slow stream and whip until firm peaks form. Stir 1/4 of whites into batter.
3. Fold in rest with a rubber spatula. Pour batter into greased 10-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees F until well risen and firm in center, about 45 minutes. Invert cake onto rack and cool a few minutes.
4. Lift off pan and cool completely. If prepared in advance, wrap cake in plastic and refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze up to 1 month. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.