Cherry Chocolate Cookies
- 1 c Margarine or butter
- 3/4 c Packed brown sugar
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 oz Semisweet chocolate; melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 ts Finely shredded orange peel
- 1 ts Ground cinnamon
- 1 ts Vanilla
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 2 1/4 c All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c Finely chopped pecans (to 2)
- 2 Egg whites
- 3/4 c Cherry jelly or preserves
1. In large mixing bowl beat margarine or butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add egg yolks, beating well. Blend in melted chocolate, orange peel, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
2. Stir in flour. Place pecans and egg white in two separate small, shallow bowls. Slightly beat egg whites with a fork. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip each ball into egg white; roll in pecans to coat.
3. Place balls, 2 inches apart, on lightly greased baking sheets. Using your thumb, make slight indentation in top of each cookie. Bake in 350 degree oven about 12 minutes or till edges are firm.
4. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Fill centers of cooled cookies with a small spoonful of jelly or preserves. Makes about 60 cookies.