Eggplant Parmigiana lightly breaded eggplant, fried and covered with tomato-meat sauce, and topped with mozzarella cheese.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices flour, for dusting seasoned salt, to taste oil, for frying
- 1 (16-oz.) jar meat-flavored sauce
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- 1 (14-oz.) can sliced-style stewed tomatoes
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil or spray jelly roll pan, set aside.
2. Slice eggplant (you should have 8 slices) and moisten slices; coat lightly in flour and season lightly with salt. Using large heavy skillet, heat oil and brown eggplant; transfer to jelly roll pan. Cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Prepare sauce: Place saucepan over medium heat and add sauce, jelly and tomatoes (break tomatoes with a fork). Heat through, do not boil. Stir to melt jelly completely.
4. To serve: Place 2 slices of eggplant on each ovenproof plate; cover each eggplant slice with a slice of mozzarella cheese; drizzle sauce over without covering completely; place plate in oven to melt cheese. Serve immediately.