- 6 oz Chocolate chips; semisweet
- 1/3 c Butter
- 1 c Rolled oats; quick-cooking
- 1/4 c Brown sugar; packed
- 1/4 c Wheat germ
- 1/3 c Milk
- 1/2 ts Baking powder
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1/2 c Walnuts; chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tb White sugar
- 1 ts Vanilla
1. Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Melt the chocolate chips and the butter in the top of a double boiler or in a small heavy saucepan over – NOT IN – just simmering water.
2. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir until smooth. Set aside. Combine the oats, wheat germ, dry milk, baking powder, salt and nuts in a medium size bowl. Set aside. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix in the brown and white sugars and the vanilla until thick. Stir in the melted-chocolate mixture. Fold in the oats mixture until just blended. Pour the batter into a greased (8″) square baking pan.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is crisp but a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist. Set the pan on a rack to cool completely before cutting. Yields 25 Brownies