- 1 quart tomato juice — * see note
- 1/3 cup celery leaves — chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 ounce peppercorns
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 packets gelatin powder — 1 tbsp each
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
For spicier aspic use 3 cups tomato juice and 1 cup Spicy V-8 juice.
Add Worcestershire sauce for a unique taste, but be careful not to add
too much — try 1/2 teaspoon at first.
1. In a saucepan place the juice, celery leaves, onion, sugar,
salt, bay leaf and peppercorns. Heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10
2. Place the gelatin into 1/2 cup cold water and let stand to
soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove juice mixture from heat and strain liquid into large
bowl, discarding other ingredients.
4. Immediately add the gelatin mixture into the juice and stir
until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add the vinegar and stir to
5. Place the mixture into a mold and chill until firm. You may
want to lightly grease the mold for ease in removing. Unmold onto a bed
of lettuce and serve immediately.