Apples on sticks coated with semi-sweet chocolate and peanut butter candy coatings for a variation on an old classic.
- 10 apples, stems removed
- 10 to 12 wooden ice cream sticks
- 1 cup HERSHEY®’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 (10 ounce) package REESE’S® Peanut Butter Chips, chopped
- 3/8 cup shortening, divided
1. Line tray with wax paper. Wash apples; dry thoroughly. Insert wooden stick into each apple; place on prepared tray.
2. Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. In necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Dip bottom three-fourths of each apple into mixture.
Twirl and gently shake to remove excess; return to prepared tray.
3. Place remaining 1 cup peanut butter chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Spoon over top section of each apple, allowing to drip down sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Original recipe yield: 10 dipped apples.