- 1 lb Dried canellini beans (white kidney beans)
use white northern if unable to find canellini
- 6 c Water
- 2 Hot Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 lg Onion, chopped
- 1 lg Garlic clove, minced
- 2 lg Tomatoes, ripe, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1 Bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 ts Thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 ts Basil, crumbled
- 3 Strips of orange rind (1in)
- 1 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 1 ts Instant beef broth
Pick over beans and rinse. Cover beans with water in a large kettle;
bring to boiling; cover; cook 2 minutes; remove from heat; let stand 1 hour.
Pour into an electric slow cooker. -Brown sausages in a small skillet;
push to one side; saute onion and garlic in same pan until soft; stir in tomato, bay leaf, thyme, basil,
orange strips, salt and pepper and instant beef broth; bring to boiling; stir into beans; cover.
Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 5 hours or until beans are tender.