Boston Brown Bread an old-fashioned molasses-sweetened brown bread that is sure to bring back many memories.
- 1 cup unsifted whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup unsifted rye flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups buttermilk baked beans, to serve
1. Grease and flour 2-quart mold; set aside.
2. In bowl, combine flours, cornmeal, soda and salt; whisk to blend.
3. Stir in molasses and buttermilk; mix well; transfer to prepared mold and cover tightly with foil.
4. Insert a trivet in deep kettle and place mold on trivet. Pour boiling water along side of kettle (do not pour on mold) until it measures halfway up sides of mold; cover pan. Steam 3 ½ hours or until done.
5. Keep an eye on the water level so it does not boil down completely. Add boiling water as needed.
6. Remove from mold to cake rack. Serve hot with baked beans.
Makes 1 loaf.