Chinese cuisine is one of the best cuisines in the whole world. Even if you are American, French or Singaporean, you will find satisfaction when eating Chinese food. Most people go to Chinatown just to get Chinese food. The problem is restaurant-cooked Chinese food may be filled with monosodium glutamate or MSG. In addition, Chinese foods in restaurants are often too greasy.
If you want to treat yourself to Chinese food but want to make sure it is healthy, why not cook it yourself at home? You can be your own professional chef if you know the key items you need to whip up a delicious Chinese meal for the family. In Chinese cooking, the key is flavor. Often, Chinese meals have sauces which you should practice on.
Key Ingredients for Chinese Cooking
* Soy Sauce- You should always have soy sauce in your kitchen. Instead of using salt, Chinese cooks use soy sauce more often. This is very important in adding flavor to the dish.
* Oyster Sauce- Oyster sauces are not made of oyster but it tastes fantastic. It is like thick soy sauce but less salty. It is a rich sauce and it provides depth of flavor in dishes. It is great with Chinese cooked vegetables too.
* Rice Vinegar- Rice vinegar has a distinct taste from the regular vinegar. It adds “umph” to your Chinese dishes.
* Sesame Oil- Sesame oil is great in boosting the flavors of a Chinese dish. It is a nutty oil that is used in moderation. A little of this oil can go a long way with the intensity of the dish.
* Hoisin Sauce- Hoisin Sauce is what you need to lessen the saltiness from the soy sauce or oyster sauce. It is a thick sauce with a sweet flavor combined with a hint of garlic.
* Sriacha Chili Sauce- If you want to add spiciness to your Chinese dishes, you can add this chili sauce. It is a thick paste and tastes less vinegary compared to the regular hot sauce. It has the right touch of garlic combined with the taste of chili.
Aside from these key ingredients to create the best home-cooked Chinese meals, you must have some of these other ingredients too.
* Chinese sauces get their nice sheen from tomato ketchup. It is also great for adding a hit of tomato-ness in the food.
* Worcestershire Sauce can be used to add flavor and smokiness. Just put a few dashes.
* Sugar is great for cutting down the saltiness of the sauces and can help bring out more flavors of the dishes being prepared.