A favorite treat, very popular with my family, hope it’s just as popular with yours.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Butter the sides of a large saucepan. In the sauce pan combine the sugar, water, salt, corn syrup and vinegar.
2. Cook over medium heat to the hard ball stage 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
3. Stir in the vanilla and slowly pour the hot mixture over the popped popcorn, stirring just to mix well.
4. Butter hands lightly and shape into balls. Mixture will be hot so be careful. Place balls on waxed paper to cool.
Original recipe yield: 15 – 20 tennis ball sized balls.