French Onion Sandwiches
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 (4 ounce) beef cube steaks
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of pepper
- 4 (1-inch) slices French bread, toasted
- 2 (1-ounce) slices Swiss cheese, halved
1. In a large skillet melt butter. Add steaks and cook over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done.
2. Remove from skillet, reserving drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender.
3. Combine broth, cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and pepper. Add to skillet. Cook and stir until bubbly.
4. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Place steaks on bread. Top with cheese and onion mixture.