Chicken Stuffed With Crab
- 8 chicken breast halves skinned and; boned
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup canned chicken broth diluted
- 1/3 cup chablis or other dry white wine
- 1/4 cup onion; chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter; melted
- 7 1/2 oz fresh lump crabmeat drained and f; laked
- 3 oz can sliced mushrooms drained
- 10 saltine crackers; crushed
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley; chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup swiss cheese (4 oz.) shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1. Place chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper; flatten to 1/4″ thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Set aside.
2. Melt 3 tb. butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, chicken broth and wine; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Set sauce aside.
3. Saute onion in 1 tb. butter in a large skillet until tender. Add crabmeat, sliced mushrooms, cracker crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper; stir well. Add 2 tb reserved sauce, stirring well.
4. Top each chicken breast half with 1/4 cup crabmeat mixture. Fold long sides of chicken over crabmeat mixture; fold ends over, and secure with wooden picks.
5. Place chicken rolls, seam side down, in a 13 x9 x 2″ baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake at 350 F. for one hour, or until chicken is done. Uncover and sprinkle chicken with shredded Swiss cheese and paprika. Bake an additional 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove wooden picks and serve chicken immediately.
6. Recipe from Jan Inman in _More Memoirs of a Galley Slave_ by The Kodiak Fishermen’s Wives Association/Kodiak, AK. In _America’s Best Recipes: A 1990 Hometown Collection_. Birmingham, AL: Oxmoor House, Inc., 1990. Pg. 250. ISBN 0-8487-1009-6. Electronic format by Cathy Harned.